Monday 10 December 2012

Hellboy Corpse Locator - Lid Detailing

Previously: Intro

Originally Posted 15-Feb-2012



This detailing was done using epoxy putty. I rolled it out into thin strands then proceeded to weave with it.  :D

I don't know if anyone has ever weaved with epoxy putty before but it's not the easiest thing in the world.
It  took so long that I came very close to the workable limit (3-4hours) before it cures too hard.

I documented the vines on the underside much better so you can see those later.






I needed to blend the two elements together, as well as fill in any undercuts so that I could mould it without it getting stuck.

I used polyfilla (plaster based, used for filling cracks in walls, like spackle?)

Generally not good for props but I liked the grainy texture it gives you.





I was fairly free in the way I applied the filler, trying to re-create hundreds of years of dirt that may have lodged themselves in the crevices.

But to keep the smooth top surface I kept wiping the top of the vines with a damp cloth.

Don't think I've got a picture of the underside, but on that last picture you can just make out the beading on the edge, more epoxy putty.

Next to tackle is the centre dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment